What do Successful Artists Say About Getting Started in the Arts?
At Life With Paint, we've helped over 54,000 delighted students realize the beauty and joy of painting. We've delivered over 2,180 classes at 17 locations across Australia and New Zealand. We are thrilled to be Australia's largest social painting company, an organization that is spearheading the group painting movement in Australia.
Occasionally, we notice that some our students experience a little bit of apprehension in taking that first step, that first plunge into painting. This is especially true of our students who have never even held a paintbrush before. Luckily, our artist-instructors are experts at helping new students learn the basics of painting. Our artist-instructors help students fall in love with the art form.
15 Quotes from the Legendary Artists of Then and Now
Our artist-instructors are great at helping our students get the creative process flowing, but what have some of the legends, some of the great artists, said about getting started in the arts?
Here are some fantastic quotes, tidbits, and bits of advice from some of the greatest artists the world has ever known. Read through the list. We dare you not to feel inspired by the end of it!
- "Every artist was first an amateur" -Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "Creativity takes courage" -Henri Matisse
- "Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." -Pablo Picasso
- "You don't take a photograph, you make it" -Ansel Adams
- "Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time." -Thomas Merton
- "We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents" -Bob Ross
- "A picture is a poem without words" -Horace
- "The principles of true art is not to portray, but to evoke" -Jerzy Kosinski
- "Painting is easy when you don't know how, but very difficult when you do" -Edgar Degas
- "I'm trying to do what I have never done – give the impression one has on entering a room: one sees everything and at the same time nothing." -Pierre Bonnard
- "Educate yourself. Never stop learning. Intelligence is the foundation of great art. In order to stir an emotion in others, one must be able to make a viewer question their previous ideas and challenge their established thoughts." -Jill Sanders
- "Your sincere commitment to your practice is the path to becoming a successful artist. That, and trusting your instincts." -Beth Kamhi
- "Make more work. The standard logic behind this advice is that working in greater quantity loosens you up and you end up making more good work." -Sawyer Rose
- "Don't be fearful. Be more willing to take risks. Be confident and believe in yourself. Nurture and explore your creativity and master your skills." -Annie Wildey
- "Enjoy the ride. If you've got the guts to be making work and putting it out there, be proud of yourself and have fun with it."-Julia Ibbini
At Life With Paint, we understand that the great artists were all beginners at one point or another. They all had to start somewhere. For every single one of them, there was a moment in their life when they picked up a paintbrush for the very first time.
At a group painting class, there is no pressure, no performance anxiety, no being surrounded by highly talented artists, no comparing yourself to the professionals. It's just a friendly group of beginners working together to create their masterpieces. It's a fun activity, a social engagement, and a learning experience all rolled into one.
Please fill out our contact form to sign up for a class today.